I tend to make many discoveries in my life. Some have a larger impact than others. Usually I tend to learn something new, as well as apply it to my life in a way that what I learned will become useful. I find vanity in people that spend so much of their time to learn, and then never apply to their life. Why spend time learning only to forget the gold information and never let the effect of it come to you?
Last year I took an AP Calculus class. A good friend of mine was coincidently suffering along with me. We’d always find ways to pass the time while passively paying attention to the droning voice of our teacher. One day in particular I do remember. I asked my good friend to write down whatever was on his mind for two minutes. Whatever he thought, he’d lay it down on a fresh sheet no matter where his mind took him. He complied. The results were not at all what I expected. Instead of writing with sentence structure, he wrote a string of words only separated by commas. I distinctly remember asking myself “what in his mind leads him to think and act this particular way?”
I've never been one to master the art of psychology. Widely this subject is preferred, but I never took the time to study what I wish I knew. Most of my acquired knowledge was from personal experience. I scrambled together the information I knew, picked up a pencil, and began to direct my focus on what he had written. Such a simple act was my instruction to him. I asked so little, and it appeared he returned the same. While this may seem so, in all reality he had given me more than I had ever anticipated.
After many minutes of small scribbled notes and meditative thought, I came to many conclusions. I learned that his brain was structured much different than mine. He was a pure left brained individual. I imagined his brain was structured in a series of interconnected links, and a series of perfectly placed ideas and images. His brained liked to retain and see order, as to keep things simple and common. He had written the string of words because that’s how he thought. He thought with a series of ideas, each connected to one another. The first word was connected to the second, and so forth. Through this, I was more easily able to learn exactly what he had been thinking during the entire two minutes I had him write. I thought this was fascinating! I learned that through the way people write, you can tell everything about them. Even little things are no exception. The words a person speaks, the way a person writes, and even the way a person behaves can and does say everything about the process of their mind. With this beginning, a person can quickly predict behavior and identify personality type, forms of communication, background information, and future characteristics.
...
People aren't as complicated as I had been led to believe.
What's fascinating is that I can read what I wrote, and retrace my mental steps I took in its creation. I remember my train of thought exactly. Yet now, a year later, I would not have written the same paper. Especially not with the same cocky attitude (I left out those parts). I believe I had a point, nonetheless. Sheep are predictable, while those who choose their own paths are not. It's easier to follow. That says a lot about human nature. My other point I made through most of the paper was that we do everything for a reason. From the way we bite our lip when we're nervous, or we fiddle our fingers when we're anxious, every movement, thought, and action has a root and a reason. While my paper was on graphology (I didn't know that term at the time), my mind was entirely on understanding something complex. This is how we learn. We piece together little chunks of something complex, making it simpler. This would explain why my posts seem so scrambled sometimes. So much information or interlinked together like a web.
Just some thoughts for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment